Friday, January 4, 2013

Griffin Gazette

Looks like we are back in the swing of things. Hopefully the transition is going smoothly for your little one. Please don't hesitate to call or email with questions or concerns. With that being said, it was already planned that I be out on Wednesday for professional development in Jackson. I apologize as I would rather be standing in front of your children, but duty calls. The substitute will be Amy Endris.

This week in reading we will focus on plot.  The plot of a story is made up of the problem, important events and the resolution.
Essential questions this week will be:
1. What is plot?
2. What is a problem?
3. Extension: What is a solution?
Ways to help at home...READ! READ! READ! and talk about the plot...first, next and last.
I will be sending home homework books Tuesday - Thursday. Please always read with your child and send back to school the following day. Sometimes your book will have a note with special instructions. Please help your child be responsible by taking care of the books.

Letter of the week: N
N sharing begins on Wednesday and ends Friday. Students can bring something that begins with the letter N Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and leave it in their backpack. I will do sharing during snack time.

Snap words to know:
we, my, like, he, for, me, with, she, and, can

This week in Math:
Attribute blocks and printing numbers
What is my rule? Learning more about attributes
# stories, addition and subtraction

This week in handwriting and writing:
We are focusing on lower case letters now. You can practice at home too. Let me know if you would like some printing paper for extra practice.
During writer's workshop we will begin our YOUNG author's unit. This is a very exciting tradition at the Alta school and I am excited to teach your little one all about it.

Other things to know:

I am excited to be back in front of a classroom. Let me know if there is something I can do to make the transition smoother for your child.


Skiing begins MONDAY. Remember your GEAR!!!

We had a LOCKDOWN drill today. A lockdown drill is when we lock the school, the doors, shut the windows and black out my door. This is a routine procedure in safety and keeping our school safe. There were lots of questions for me after the drill was over. I answered matter of fact and also directed them to talk more to their parents if they had more questions.

Remember I am out on Wednesday.

The rink is now open at school. Feel free to bring skates to school. Kindergarten kids can skate during Lunch - recess because they will have more time to get out there.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Mrs. Griffin loves comments....so please leave one!